9 out of 10 companies declare that shipping packaging is high on their agenda. And with the strong growth of e-commerce, there is no surprise here. Nowadays, almost everything can be bought online: from food to electronics, cosmetics, clothing, books and video games (for mentioning just a few). In this context, companies look for high-quality, multipurpose, and lightweight packaging. Do all packaging supplies meet those needs? Let’s find out!
Shipping packaging is much more than a simple matter of aesthetics and taste. Packaging’s first role is to protect your items and to sustain damages during handling, logistics and transport. But mailing packaging should also spread your brand’s image and values: in fact, the packaging is the first thing clients see before opening the parcel.
Let us not forget either about the fact that consumers are becoming more mindful about the environmental impact of product packaging!
Thus, your choice for a packaging solution should not be driven only by logistics needs,
but also by your customers preferences and the image you want to give as a company.
Below, you will find a list of questions to ask yourself before looking for a concrete shipping packaging option:
1. What are the size and weight of the items I want to send?
2. Will my parcel be exposed to multiple handling during logistics and shipping?
3. Do I need my brand to be recognizable on the mailing packaging?
4. Do I need to print other information such as barcode, product identification and recipient’s data on the packaging?
5. Do my consumers value eco-friendly packaging solutions?
6. Is my company striving to reduce the environmental impact of its activities?
7. Does my packaging need to be resealable for easy return by post or courier?
There are many packaging solutions to choose from on the market for business shipping needs. But one of the biggest dilemmas for e-commerce companies is: boxes vs mailers. Both have their strengths and limitations depending on their use.
Sustainable packaging unwrapped – Report GlobalWebIndex (2019)